Yule Kaka Tea Ring (Swedish Christmas Bread)
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water, 105-115 degrees
1 cup milk, scalded
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), softened
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup cool water
1 cup mixed candied fruit
1 cup golden raisins
6 - 6 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoon softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup powered sugar
2+ Tablespoon milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in measuring cup. Let stand until foamy, about 3 minutes.
2. Combine hot milk, sugar, butter, salt and cardamom in large bowl. Add water. Let stand until lukewarm.
3. Stir egg, mixed fruit, raisins and yeast mixture into milk mixture. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until stiff dough is formed. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
4. Press dough into large buttered bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with towel. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half into a 9x15 inch rectangle. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
6. Roll up tightly beginning at the wide end. Seal up well by pinching edges of roll together.
7. Stretch the roll slightly to even out. On a lightly greased baking sheet, place the roll seal edge down in the shape of a ring. Pinch ends together.
8. Use scissors to make cuts 2/3 way through the ring at 1-inch intervals. Turn each section on its side. Let rise, covered until double in bulk, about 40 minutes. Repeat with other half of dough.
7. Bake in preheated oven, 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
8. Drizzle glaze over top.
9. Can be decorated with candied cherries, pecans, almonds, etc.