Warm spices and brown sugar add rich, caramelized flavors to this carrot cake that is perfect for spring!
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 2 cups grated carrot, tossing to combine.
3. Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
5. Spread batter into a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
8. To prepare frosting, place softened cream cheese and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at medium speed until combined (don't overbeat).
9. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake.
10. Sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans