A great snack to make for on-the-go!
2 1/2 cups of rolled oats
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (you can use butter if you don’t have coconut oil on hand)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries**
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips + extra for sprinkling on top**
1. Preheat the oven to 350. While the oven is preheating, line an 8×8 baking pan with tin foil. Lightly butter.
2. Spread the oats on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (until they are lightly toasted). Then transfer them to a bowl.
3. While the oats are baking, combine the honey, coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture until it’s liquid and the sugar has melted completely.
4. Pour the heated mixture into the bowl with the toasted oats and stir to combine.
5. Let the mixture cool for 3-4 minutes and then add the cranberries and 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips. (The chocolate chips will melt a little and that’s ok. It will help bind the mixture together.)
6. Pour the mixture into the lined baking pan. Lightly grease a spatula and use it to firmly press the mixture down. Press hard so the bars stay together!
7. Once bars are firmly pressed down, sprinkle the top with more mini chocolate chips. Gently press them into the top.
8. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours.
9. Remove granola from the pan and peel away aluminum foil. Cut the big block in half, and then cut into bars or squares.
The base of this recipe is the oat, honey, oil and sugar mixture. You can add raisins, flaked coconut, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, white chocolate chips…the possibilities are endless!